Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Recipes for Dinner - Salmon Pinwheels, Cannillini Bean Salad, and Steamed Asparagus


Tonight I fixed a healthy meal for my Dad and I and thought it was a good one to share. I got some great Salmon Pinwheels stuffed with a Spinach stuffing at Trader Joe's (obviously not in Albany!) and served them with Cannellini Bean Salad and some steamed asparagus. Pretty simple and it took about 30 minutes to prepare. Maybe Rachael should do this on her 30 minute meals!

Salmon Pinwheels - ok, these came from Trader Joe's and are one of the main reasons I go there! If you don't have a TJ's near you, just use some plain salmon filets with your favorite seasonings. I thawed them out in their package in some cold water which took about 15 minutes. I sauted some garlic (2 small cloves) in olive oil (1 tblsp) and then put the Salmon Pinwheels in. I seared them on both sides and then put a little white wine in (about 1/2 cup of Savignon Blanc)and simmered for maybe 5 minutes. Done!

Cannellini Bean Salad - this is a recipe that I got off of the Food Network and is tried and true. It's an Emeril recipe, so you know it's good! Everytime I serve it it is a big hit and there's never any left - always a good sign. The official Food Network recipe name is Cannellini Bean Salad with Parsley Pesto. If you don't want to mess with making an official pesto with the food processor, it works just as good to chop the parsley by hand and mix it with the garlic and olive oil. I use italian parsley instead of the curly leafed kind. This takes about 10 minutes to prepare, but like a lot of things tastes better after it sits in the refrigerator for a little while. Try to make it ahead, but don't sweat it if you can't.

Steamed Asparagus - no biggie. Chop off the ends of the asparagus spears. Boil some water. If you have a steamer, use that, otherwise, you can just put a little water in the bottom of a pan and put in the asparagus for about 5-10 minutes. Steam it until it's al dente - just barely done. You don't want to over do it or it gets mushy. Better to be underdone than overdone.

And there you have it! It has ample protein from both the salmon and beans, good fiber from the beans and the asparagus along with an assortment of other nutrients like folate and vitamin K among others. You'll get some good fat from the Salmon and the olive oil used in the beans, and ample complex carbs.

I attempted to take a photo, and I realize I don't get any points for presentation, but hey, this is a normal home, not a TV set!

No comments:

Post a Comment