Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Yoga Connection

As I mentioned before, I was re-introduced to yoga by my good friends Mike & Beverly last summer. I've practiced yoga for several years, but like my other exercise routines, I had gotten out of practice. When Mike & Beverly told me they were going to Thailand to do yoga with their nephew, I asked if I could camp out on their floor. I initially had no intentions of doing yoga, but REALLY wanted to go to Thailand. But the more I investigated, the more I wanted to try to do a week of yoga. It has been a great gift!

Within weeks after I returned from Thailand, I found out that my Dad was ill. Fortunately, I had just taken a retirement package from Delta, and was able to go to take care of him. As you might imagine, my life changed greatly. I left my home near Atlanta and went to South Georgia where I grew up and where my father still lives. I've felt anxious, frustrated, sad, out of control, and worried among other emotions (thankfully not all at the same time) and yoga has not only helped me calm myself and focus, but has also been a great form of exercise.

As I retired, I really wanted to "do something different", and I found many of my friends saying the same thing. I decided while I was not working to pursue looking for something different and teaching yoga seemed to make sense for me. I was encouraged by others as well. When I stumbled upon Integrative Yoga Therapy, I was really interested. When I found that there would be a two week intensive training in Acapulco in February, I was ready to sign up. I called Beverly and she was ready to sign up too, so we did! We will be going to Bambuddha Retreat Center on the beach in Acapulco for 2 and a half weeks! I am so looking forward to it!

I hope to be certified to teach in March and I want to find someplace to teach ASAP. I've already started talking with the teachers at the yoga center where I attend now, and have gotten good information and encouragement from them all.

I'm not exactly sure how things will work out, but I hope to be able to teach yoga and maybe do some nutrition and wellness consulting part time while taking care of my Dad. We'll just see what the next few months bring....

1 comment: